Andy Garcia to Star in the Cuban American ‘Father of the Bride’ Remake

Andy Garcia is getting ready for a wedding in his next movie and it will be Cuban style.

The 64-year-old actor is set to star in and be executive producer of the upcoming Warner Bros. remake of Father of the Bride, which will follow the relationships within a Cuban American family.

Gaz Alazraki will direct the film which is being produced by Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner of Plan B, the banner behind Oscar-nominated drama, Minari.

Like previous iterations of Bride, this latest remake will center on the father of a soon-to-be bride coming to terms with daughters’ nuptials. And the story will be told through the relationships in a big, sprawling Cuban-American family.

Ya tu sabes.

Andy proudly stated:

I’m very excited to join The Father of the Bride, a beloved film that has brought so much joy to so many over the years and to represent my Cuban culture and heritage in this story. I commend Warner Bros. for their foresight and celebrate this opportunity they have created.

We can only speculate if the true Cuban traditions will be displayed in the movie.

• Is the wedding going to be upper class, and will it be held at the Church of the Little Flower in Coral Gables followed by a glamorous reception at the Biltmore Hotel?

• Or will it be of Cuban chusmeria from Hialeah with a traditional lechon, congri, and yuca at the reception?

• Will the father of the bride play the bongos at the reception?

We can’t wait for the movie to be released to see how well Hollywood will capture the Cuban American wedding traditions.

What are your thoughts about this exciting movie with Cuban Americans as the main characters?

UPDATE:

Gloria Estefan will join the cast of FATHER OF THE BRIDE, the Cuban American version. She was invited by her good friend Andy Garcia. It will be a GREAT movie.

48 Comments Add yours

1. yasmin diaz says:

love andy garcia i am sure the movie will be a hit. I am cuban and feel very proud. Defenetley Hialeah will need to be part of the movie. A beautiful city with alot of hard working cubans that made the city what it is today. Came to this country when i was10 years old 41 years ago and lived in hialeah almost my entire life. Cant wait to watch this movie !!!!!!!

2. Carmen says:

Wow ! Can’t wait!
    Love Andy !
    Very proud of him
    🇨🇺

3. RAFFY says:

I love Andy Garcia. Can’t wait for this movie to come out. My family and I will be first at the theater to see it. I hope it will be nation wide. We live in Fort Worth, Texas

4. Trish says:

My daughters love this movie and I am a. Cuban American so I can’t wait!!

5. Chely says:

Love Andy Garcia! can’t wait !! And I hope the movie will be an accurate representation of Cuban s when it comes to races, values , language, music and food!!!

1. Susy Torres says:

Any thing Andy does Andy does exceptionally well.
      Cualquier cosa que Andy hace lo hace excepcionalmente.
      We got your back Andy.
      No te preocupes Andy todos iremos a verte.

6. Lucía says:

Excited to see where the movie is set. I would love to it to be set in Miami. Also hoping to see a cast of cuban American actors. Can’t wait! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Gisela Munin says:

Can’t wait to see this movie! I love Andy Garcia . I am Cuban American & I know he will represent very appropriately all the idiosyncrasies & craziness that happen in these weddings!

7. Beatriz S. Garcia says:

My idol, Andy Garcia love all his movies our greatest. Can’t wait for this remake Cuban style

8. Alicia Arce says:

He is a very good actor and I am sure he will do a movie very profesional and with a good taste.

9. Esther says:

Can’t wait. I Love Andy Garcia.

10. Mercedes says:

I can’t wait to see the movie. I love and respect Andi’s professionalism and his Love for “el cubaneo”. Best of Luck Andy 🙏🏼♥️👍🏼🇨🇺

11. Isis says:

Can’t wait….should be fun….Love Andy!!!

12. Mary says:

Love that Andy Garcia will be representing ! But please, let’s not pretend that there is only Cuban chusmeria in Hialeah. Westchester, Kendall, Little Havana, and even Coral Gables have their fair share of chusmeria.

13. Teresa J. Cummings says:

I love the idea

14. Isaac says:

I love Andy Garcia, I love the movie the movie he made The lost City. He represent us all Cubans. And he represents the real Cuban way. I think he will do a fine good job…..

15. Ed says:

When is it coming out cant wait to make another cuban hit like scareface like back in the 80s. But this one is about our culture and most likly funny!

1. Aleida Fumero says:

I can’t wait to see the movie, he is very good and professional actor. UN ORGULLO CUBANO 🇨🇺

16. Sabina says:

So excited about this- hopefully my hometown along with many other Cuban Americans “Havava on the Hudson”, Union City, NJ will be mentioned!

17. Wendy Marrero says:

Omg I can’t wait!!! This is so awesome hope it’s kept olds school

18. Melba Ahrens says:

Andy Garcia is a very talented actor and a very classy guy. He will represent us cubans as colorful and Caribbean as we really are with our original and native latin flavor the one that everybody else likes and loves. Good Luck in your new project. Andy! I know it will be awesome and unforgettable ❤

1. Rosa says:

Wow!!! The best, Andy Garcia!!! Missing him for a long time!!!!
      I’m not living in Hialeah but I know they’re not only chusmeria cubana. They have good people, good workers, please the Cuban people not only are Chusmas. They are a lot of good things too and this post is talking about one, Andy Garcia.

19. Alice Garcia says:

I hope it is a real Cuban affair. With the music, food and the works.

20. Mari Vila says:

They may throw in some Hialeah but Westchester is the heart of the Cuban American community. I got married at Saint Theresa’s. Andy Garcia‘s sister lived or lives on 102nd Ave. SW. 13th 14th St. I cannot wait he’s an amazing actor!!

21. Olga says:

Im excited to hear that Andy is doing a movie. I just hope its shows its true Cubans. I was born in Miami and grew up in Little Havana . Very little ever comes out of Hollywood about Cubans.

22. Dannicky says:

I love the idea and Andy but I am a little concerned with Hollywood on how they will portray a Cuban family, their PC and if they will use Cuban American actors
    Look forward to it with trepidation

23. Maria Julia Chaves Gilmore says:

I just can’t wait to see this movie I love the original movie and being a Cuban American myself I know how crazy they can be. Andy Garcia is one of my favorite actor and I know he will do a great job. Good luck to you all

24. Lourdes says:

I can’t wait to see this movie. I’m sure Andy Garcia will do a great job and make us proud of our Cuban heritage. Wishing they’ll have some Cuban music and Willy Chirino..

25. Juliana says:

I’m am of Hispanic background but not Cuban. I am very close to the Cuban community. In fact, most of my friends are from Cuba. Portraying a Hispanic movie sounds wonderful. It gives you a different perspective on such a memorable moment from the view of a Hispanic family. It is my belief and my experience that Hispanic families tend to be very similar in there ways of living, in their upbringing, etc.; so why make the distinction of this movie portraying a Cuban family? Why can’t it be classified as a Hispanic wedding? That being said, there was a statement within this article which makes reference to having a wedding that is considered more refined and classy as compared to the “chusmeria” from Hialeah.” It is so sad to classify people as being vulgar, tasteless and gossipy, basically not having any class because they live in Hialeah. I do not live in Hialeah, but I love many of those who do. Just because they may be more limited in their resources in comparison to those who are not, (example of this would be your reference of having the reception to take place at the Biltmore), you are more tacky and classless; basically a low life. Then, would it be correct to classify those who are considered wealthy as snobs or arrogant and maybe even superior? Maybe I have too much time on my hands to be spending it on writing this comment. This is my opinion and truly, who cares what I have to say. Maybe you might state, “oh please lighten up, stop over analyzing things”. I just felt compelled to throw it out there.

26. Carolina Rodríguez says:

I am looking forward to watching this movie, I love Andy Garcías in all the movies he is in! He makes the Cuban American community proud of our heritage!
    Always proud to tell my friends he is Cuban, smart handsome and decent.

27. Ana says:

As a Cuban American I am very proud that Andy Garcia will be in this movie. He is a man with great talent and has remained true to his roots. Can not wait to see this movie with my family. Ya tu sabes esto sera maravilloso. And yes, please have all the actors Cuban American. Gracias.

28. Aurora Aragon-Bruzzichesi says:

He needs to cast Jenny Lorenzo!!!

29. Sixto Siciliq says:

Yo no sé. Casi siempre no es una representación genuína. Hollywood ultimately caters to Hollywood. Now if they capture Cubans as they capttured the Greek culture in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, then yes it would be great. Cuban culture’s unique chispa needs to be represented through a mix of class and a little bit of crass, not too much chusmería please. Y el hablar we don’t all speak as if we have a potato in our mouth. Just sayin’.

30. Vivian says:

Can’t wait!!! Super excited.

31. Ruth Noemi says:

Can’t wait to see the movie!

32. Vincent Manso says:

Since, “Losr City”, I’ve been waiting for a other movie from Andy which depicts the Cuban way if life, it’s struggles and it’s success. I would recomend a more realistic version of the Elian Rodriguez’ saga as Andy’s future project. (He was personally involved).
    Thank you Mr. GARCIA for yourfine representation of the Cuban people.

33. Matias says:

Love Andy, he’s a class act. Pero más respeto para Hialeah!!! ❤️Hialeah , my hometown. Que es eso de chusmeria? Hard-working, decent people there.

1. Ruben Soto says:

Lol! Matias, I love Hialeah too. They have some of the BEST Cuban restaurants and the people are great. No disrespect to Hialeah – just having some fun with the article.

1. Matuas says:

It’s all good Ruben 👍🏻

2. Matias says:

It’s all good Ruben 👍🏻

34. Karen Powery says:

I am married to Cuban here in South Florida and I am looking forward to this movie… can’t wait!!

35. Angie says:

Can’t wait for this Cuban American version. Andy Garcías, no matter what type of movie he acts, he’s always excellent. Go for it Andy.

36. Maria Naccarato says:

Can’t wait. Knowing Andy Garcia and his love for Cuba he will not participate in anything demeaning towards the Cubans.

37. Great expectations for this movie. Andy Garcia is a great actor and I am sure that he will represent us well. I am sure that the cast will do a great job also, I can imagine all the sweet and sour moments of a Cuban American father, letting go of her princess to the man of her life. Best wishes to Andy García and the cast of this movie!

38. Margarita E. Sanchez says:

Anything Andy Garcia perform is outstanding, I am sure he will represent us exactly as we were and are, with the funny spice of our genuine joy characteristic of our culture. Your parents would be very proud of you. My husband was very closed to your parents. God bless you and give the success deserved.

39. Gloria Doyharzabal Martinez says:

I CANT WAIT!!!!! I’m sure that Andy García will make it a truly Cuban America experience!!!! Whether it be in Coral Gables or in Hialeah I’m sure it’s going to be amazing

40. Lourdes Cuzan says:

Can’t wait to see Andy Garcia’s performance and how the Cuban culture will be portrayed. Andy will be superb as usual.

41. Mercy says:

Contact Jenny Lorenzo , she would make a big asset to this movie!